Transfer or Assign Team or Org Ownership
For independent teams, team owners can transfer ownership of their team(s) to any active roster member that has been granted manager access to the team. For teams that are part of a sports organization in TeamSnap, only league administrators can change or assign team ownership.
In this article
Transfer Independent Team Ownership
Team owners cannot be removed from a team that they own. If removal is desired without deactivating the team, team ownership must transferred to another team administrator. Once the transfer has been accepted by the prospective team owner, the transferring owner will be downgraded to a team manager, and can then leave or be removed from the team.
During the transfer process, the existing team owner's payment information will be removed from the team and the new owner will be prompted to enter their own payment information. The new owner will be responsible for any future team plan billing. Any changes made to the team's plan prior to the transfer will take effect immediately.
- Transfer initiator must be the current team owner
- The intended new owner must have their own profile on the team roster (cannot be listed as a contact under another member's roster profile)
- Add and invite them as a new member if needed
- If the current team owner’s roster profile information is simply replaced with the prospective owner’s information, ownership will not be transferred since that profile is still connected to the original owner's TeamSnap account. The information will need to be changed back to the original owner's, then follow the steps outlined below.
- The roster invitation for the intended new owner has been accepted
Initiate Team Ownership Transfer
- Hover over the Account button
- Click Manage My Teams
- Click on the name of the team to be transferred in the left-hand column of the screen (if you own only one team you can skip this)
- Click theTransfer Team Ownership button for the team that you own that you'd like to transfer
- Select the new owner from the drop-down menu of eligible roster members
- Click the Initiate Transfer button
- Click Done to complete the transfer initiation process
The prospective owner will then receive an email to accept the transfer. Ownership offers can be viewed and accepted in the Manage My Teams section of the prospective owner's account settings. Once accepted, the original owner will remain on the roster as a manager unless they leave the team or are removed by the new owner.
Assign Organization Team Ownership
Organization administrators can assign team owner status to any member of their organization. Each team can only be assigned one team owner.
Team owner access can only be granted to active TeamSnap members who have accepted their invitation and are assigned to the team they will be granted ownership of.
If not yet on the roster, use the Add button to add and invite the new team owner. Once they have accepted and are assigned to their team:
- Navigate to the teams list under the Divisions/Teams tab
- Click the Change button in the Team Owner column
- Select the new team owner from the drop-down
- Click Save New Owner
Once an owner for a team has been established, it is not possible for an org administrator to revert the team to having no assigned owner.
Transfer Organization Ownership
There can only be one organization owner for an organization, and as many additional administrators (commissioners) as needed. Organization owners are the only members that have the permissions to grant/revoke commissioner access for others, and they also manage the organization's TeamSnap plan billing from the web app. If there is a need to transfer organization owner privileges from one account to another, here is how that can be accomplished:
- The current org owner must set the new owner up with commissioner access.
- Both the current org owner and future org owner must reach out to TeamSnap support to provide direct authorization for the transfer of ownership.
- Once our support team has facilitated the transfer of ownership, the new organization owner can use their access to remove/manage any other member's commissioner privileges as needed, including the previous org owner's role going forward.
Note: If the current organization owner is not available to authorize the transfer of ownership, the organization's client success manager can assist with gathering documented verification to authorize this edit.