Android Device Not Receiving Push Notifications
Sometimes, life just doesn't go as expected, and in the beautiful big world of Android, certain devices, third-party apps, and even some device settings can block TeamSnap notifications from coming through. 'How dare they!' you may be thinking, and we agree, but alas that is the reality of life - we can't control everything. We can, however, give you some tools and information on what to be aware of. Read on for troubleshooting steps!
Let's start with the basics, and everyone's favorite:
Restart your phone
- Did you try turning it off and on again? Don't knock it until you try it, it works more often than you think!
No dice? Let's continue on our troubleshooting journey:
Make sure you're logged into the app
- Push notifications won't be received if you've logged out of the app, so make sure you're logged in.
Make sure your phone is connected to the internet
Push notifications require an active internet (data) connection, so you'll want to make sure you are connected in some way, and that your connection is not a source of the issue.
- Double check that your phone is not in airplane mode.
- Confirm that you have cellular data enabled.
- Consider whether you are on a corporate or school/campus WiFi network that may have firewall restrictions in place that could be interfering with your device's connection, in which case you'd need to contact the network administrator.
- Are you on a VPN? Make sure your VPN is not restricting the TeamSnap app from connecting to the internet.
Still not working? Let's do a little refreshing:
Update to the latest version of TeamSnap for Android
- Not sure if you're on the latest version or not? Try uninstalling the app then reinstalling fresh from the Play store just to be safe.
Update your device OS to the latest version available
- You should be able to check whether you have an update available in your device Settings > About Phone > Software information (this may vary by device)
- You'll also want to make sure your Android version meets our system requirements, which is to have at least Android 5.0 and up.
If you've come this far it means we're still not there yet. Let's start digging into the settings!
Make sure TeamSnap notifications aren't muted or disabled
The settings to check may vary by device but generally:
- Long press on the app icon and tap App Info OR go to Settings > Apps > TeamSnap then tap Mobile data > Notifications > than make sure that all toggles on the screen are ON.
Make sure your Battery Optimization settings are not putting TeamSnap to sleep
Android OS has the option for a Battery Saver/Optimization setting to get a longer battery life for devices. When turned on, this puts apps that aren't frequently used "to sleep", which restricts them from running background data and may also prevent notifications and updates from coming through.
- Long press on the app icon and tap App Info OR go to Settings > Apps > TeamSnap then tap Battery > then make sure the toggle for Allow background activity is ON.
- This may vary by device, but you can also check Settings > Device Care > tap the battery icon > tap the 3-dot menu > tap Settings > tap Sleeping Apps and make sure TeamSnap is not listed.
Make sure background data usage is on
You'll want to make sure that the app can still run in the background to ensure notifications will come through.
- Long press on the app icon and tap App Info OR go to Settings > Apps > TeamSnap then tap Mobile data > then make sure the toggle for Allow background data usage is ON.
I don't see these settings, help!
If any of the above troubleshooting steps are not lining up with what you see, you can always search for specific settings on your phone in the following categories:
- Priority mode
- Battery power and optimization
- Background permissions
If you are still in need of assistance with this issue, please reach out to our support team using the Help icon in the bottom right corner of the screen. Be sure to let us know which steps you tried!